Lower Delaware Chapter
National Wildlife Turkey Federation
When the National Wild Turkey Federation was founded in 1973, there were about 1.3 million wild turkeys in North America. After decades of dedicated work, that number hit a historic high of almost 7 million turkeys thanks to the tremendous efforts of our dedicated volunteers, professional staff, and committed partners.
The mission of the National Wild Turkey Federation is no less urgent today than when it was founded in 1973. What we do in the coming decades will be instrumental in not only enhancing wild turkey populations but also in the continuation of hunting and quality wildlife habitat for countless species.
Virtual Hunting Heritage Gun Raffle Results
NWTF is dedicated to the conservation of the wild turkey and preservation of our hunting heritage
NWTF was founded in 1973 and helped restore turkey
numbers to more than 6.25 million today.
• More than 230,000 members representing all 50 states,
Canada, Mexico, and 14 foreign countries.
• For every dollar the NWTF raises, 89 cents goes to
• NWTF has a dynamic and energized volunteer base of more than 10,000 that enables us to carry out our mission.
• NWTF Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt. is a 10-year initiative aimed at solving the biggest problems facing hunters today – losing 6,000 acres of habitat every day and declining participation in hunting.
• Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt. initiative goals:
– Conserve or enhance 4 million acres of critical habitat.
– Recruit 1.5 million hunters
– Open access to 500,000 acres for hunting
• The NWTF Hunting Heritage Center in Edgefield, S.C., is
the hub of the Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt. initiative
with shooting facilities, educational and meeting space, and much more.
• Conservation depends on hunters who pay for 80 percent
of conservation through license purchases and excise taxes
on guns, ammunition, and more.